Thoughts on various proverbs

Day 139: Proverbs 21-24

Proverbs 21:30: "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."
The Lord has plans, and we have plans, and no plans will succeed against the Lord. I'm still processing the meaning of this proverb, but I think it's significant. 

Proverbs 22:1: "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."

My dad always stressed the importance of a good reputation. While we often are told to not care what other people think about you, I think it's important to have a good name for yourself. It's not necessarily that we should be so concerned about what others think that we succumb to negative peer pressure; rather, we should consider the source of all wisdom (God) and care about what He thinks. The reputation we have affects those around us and influences our families, but for Christians, it also reflects on God.

Proverbs 22:6: "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it."
This passage is encouraging to me, especially when parenting can be so hard. I've told this to myself many times. Now I know that this isn't always true; I know people who have been raised in godly, Christian homes, and this hasn't yet been the case. However, I do think that God isn't finished with them yet.

Proverbs 22:16: "Those who oppress the poor to increase their wealth and those who give gifts to the rich—both come to poverty."
 
Proverbs 22:22: "Do not exploit the poor because they are poor and do not crush the needy in court, for the LORD will take up their case and will exact life for life."

These two passages spoke to me specifically because in my Argumentative and Persuasive Writing course, we have been reading Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. This book investigates the lives of low-wage workers--those who work in all those hourly jobs who can barely make their income match their expenses. It's a really interesting look, and when you read passages like these Bible verses, it opens the reading up to a whole new perspective. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.