Being Affirmed through Scripture

Day 137: Proverbs 13-16

I have said before, and I'll say it again: Parenting is hard work. And as parents, I'm sure we've all wondered whether we are doing the right thing by our children. Especially when it comes to discipline. Well, I read this verse tonight, and it reminded me that disciplining a child isn't mean or evil but instead it is because you care about them. Proverbs 13:24 says, "Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them." Look at that last part: "Those who love their children care enough to discipline them."

Typically, when I read scripture I try to look at everything within its proper context so that I understand it correctly and don't interpret something wrong. But today, I'm just glad to read that verse. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel happy. It affirms me as a parent. And sometimes when I read the Bible, that's what I want--to be affirmed. There's so much out there that makes you feel bad about yourself, and so it's nice to feel like you're doing the right thing sometimes.

Being affirmed is important to humans. I'm not sure if it's a human thing, or if it's the way that God made us to be, but when you read scripture and feel good about yourself, well, that's a good thing. The main thing we have to consider, though, is not to get sucked into the prideful part of self-confidence or affirmation. It's easy to become prideful when we feel we are doing right, but God doesn't want us to be that way. It's an interesting balance.

Thank you, God, for showing me that there is a point to parenting--that discipline shows love. This discovery shows me how much you love me, too. It's a nice parallel.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.