Do You Know THIS Prophet?

Day 73: 2 Kings 21 to 25

I was quite surprised to read today about a female prophet I knew there were female judges and even a deaconness, but I had never heard or read anything about a female prophet before. Also, she's not one of the "major" or "minor" prophets, and she doesn't have a book named after her (I don't think any woman has a book named after her). I had to go back and re-read it to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong.

Anyway, this prophet named Huldah told servants of the king that the Lord has heard their prayers and that the King Josiah would not see all the disaster the Lord was going to bring on Israel because he was faithful and righteous. She delivered a message of God to men in power.

I just think it's interesting because I often think of Bible times as very patriarchal, yet here you have a king--a good and noble king at that--seeking advice from a woman.

I know that people feel differently about women's role in the church, and I'm not going to get into all that here. What I will say, however, is that God used women in the Old and New Testament, and He still uses us today. He allows women to play a role in matters of spirituality and counsel, at least in this case. Whatever your opinion might be, I do hope you recognize that, here, God chose a female prophet to accomplish his work.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.