Did You Know We're Related?

Day 74: I Chronicles 1-4

Uh oh. Houston, we have a problem.

I've just now read through the first four chapters of I Chronicles and am realizing that maybe the lists of kings in Second Kings wasn't so bad. I should have known from the title of this book that this book would have to do with chronicling something. Hence the name. But I didn't even consider it. All this book has been about is chronicling all the descendants of the various people we've read about up to now. Adam and Eve. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, etc. etc.

Genealogies. Chronicles. Lists.

I'm guessing that this was written down because it's part of Israel's history, but I'm not sure why it's part of the Bible. We already read about all these people and learned the narrative of their lives, but I'm not sure how all these genealogies are relevant. I'm sure people have found some small parts of these lists to be significant (Who knows? Perhaps Jabez comes up here.), but it seems to be more important for the Israelites than it does for us today. And maybe that's OK. I don't know.

We can learn, though, that we learn a lot about who we are from our past, and maybe these generational lists can be meaningful in that way. Either way, I'm not sure what I can say about these if both I and II Chronicles are like this for the entire book! Let's all hang in there together.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.