Helping "The Least of These"

Day 228: Matthew 25

Whenever I see a person on the street corner holding a sign asking for money or for a job, I admit, I do not know how to respond. On the one hand, I feel pity for this person and want to help them in some way. Then again, I'm selfish and want to keep my money for myself. Other times I think that there could surely be better ways for this person to spend their time and cast judgment on them. Even when I do give them money, the thought is in the back of my head about how they will spend it.

I guess what it boils down, too, is that I don't want to be taken advantage of. I feel like I am always giving to something, and when I meet a person I don't know asking me for money, I wonder if I should give it to them. I want to do so, but I also don't. It's a weird feeling, but I do think that scripture is clear about what we should do in these situations. We should give. And keep giving--no matter what this person does with this money and no matter how often we have to give it.

In Matthew 25, Jesus reminds us that any time we do something "for the least of these," we are doing it for him. When we take care of sick people, give food or money to people begging on the side of the freeway, meet someone's physical needs, invite someone into our homes, or visit people in prisons, we are following the will of the Father.

But knowing the right thing to do and doing it are two different matters entirely. They do not always work together (as we all know). Regardless, we should consider Jesus' words here. Whenever we are helping the weak, we are doing it for Jesus. The focus is not on ourselves but rather on Jesus. It's a way to say "thank you."

Perhaps we are motivated to help others out of fear of disobedience, for Jesus says that when we refuse to help the weakest members of our society, we are refusing to help him. Or maybe we will actually respond to people because it's the right thing to do, the moral thing to do. Maybe we are compassionate people and do so out of the overflow of our hearts. Regardless of what motivates us to help others, Jesus shows us how and why it's important to take care of people--not just people we associate with on a daily basis but also people we don't. Thinking of people the way that Jesus did will also change our own hearts and minds. May we all be more conscious of ways we can help "the least of these."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.