Reflection 3: Learning How to Pray through Poetry

Day 120: Reflection 3

I'm thankful that a "reflection day" comes while I am reading the book of Psalms. Psalms has given me so much to ponder, and I notice that I am enjoying them more and more each day. During these last 40 days, I've also read several of the narrative books of the Bible, including the book of Job, which really meant a lot to me at this point in my life.

Here are some things that have stood out to me or that I have learned and observed:
1. Reading the psalms has enhanced my prayer life. And this is one of the best blessings of this whole reading/blogging venture. The psalms have given me new ways to pray. They have shown me how others talk and communicate with God, and give me ideas as to what I can say to God in my own prayers. These prayers are accessible and relevant to us today. When we don't know what to say to God, when we don't know how to jumpstart a virtually absent prayer life, when we are at a loss for words, when we want to speak to God in beautiful language and compelling metaphors, we can pray the psalms and feel that we are uttering out own words to God. That we are communicating with God in new ways. That we are saying the same words as other people before us. We can be connected to God and others by praying the psalms. I hope you will give it a try.

2. I like the person David much more after reading his prayers and songs to God than I did after reading the narrative of his life. In many respects, David was not a good man. He was sinful, violent, and adulteress. He was a murderer and was ultimately responsible for his own son's death (the one with Bathsheba). He was also a very violent military leader, always killing people who disagreed with him. There was some things to admire about him, but there was also a lot to not admire. However, the psalms that he wrote (at least the ones that are accredited to him; we don't know for sure) show a different side of David. A gentler, humbler man who is committed to the Lord. His prayers allow us to glimpse his relationship with God. How he feels about God and how he feels about himself. His prayers show us the human side of David and allow us to identify with him, to understand him better and to understand ourselves better as well. His prayers--these psalms--have touched my heart and have made me really like this man named David.

3. Poetry gives us a different view of the people of God than prose. This point is somewhat similar to both of those above, but I want to make it anyway. Prose tells the story, while poetry shows the story. Prose is detached; poetry is not. Prose keeps us at a distance; poetry shows us the heart of people. Prose lets us look at and learn about people while poetry opens up the body cavity and let's us see what's inside. Poetry shows us the heart and soul of people. And while it may not be as easy and straightforward to read as prose, I think it connects us more to the people in ways that prose does not.

4. The people in the Bible were not chosen because they were perfect. In fact, not one of them was perfect. Nobody was. Nobody is. They were chosen because they were available to God. They opened up their heart and mind and allowed God to use them. They made mistakes; they sinned; they killed; they lied; they cheated; they committed adultery; they stole. They did all the bad things. Yet they were still God's people. God loved them, regardless. And he shows us this same love as well.

5. At this stage of the reading, I feel closer to God. Now, I don't just know about God anymore; now I know God. As I mentioned previously, I have really connected with the poetry, which has let me see God's people in personal ways. In real ways that reveal their hearts and the way they communicate with God. Yet I've also gotten to see how God deals with his people. Through the words prayed by his people, I can infer how God deals with them--with us--and it sure is a beautiful thing. And I'm also closer to God because I have been learning more about him for four months now. I have seen Him at work. I have seen how he relates to his people and how they relate to him. I have tried to connect my life to the Bible in personal ways, and I have tried to think about the church in this context as well.

These last 40 days mark a notable difference within me. I think I've turned a corner in some respects, especially when it comes to prayer. However, there is still much more to do, much more to know, much more to consider. I'm really looking forward to reading the New Testament and seeing how Jesus treats people because I still have a lot of work to do here. I'm anxious to learn more about living a life of faith and seeing how God works in our lives today. Thanks for making it 120 days with me on this journey. I'm one-third of the way there (Wow!). I hope this reflection has touched you in some way and that your own faith continues to grow.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.