Metaphors and Beautiful Images

Day 121: Psalm 84-90

"What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord, who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem." Psalm 84:5

I love the image in this passage where people have set their minds on a trek to Jerusalem. At the time this psalm was written, it was most likely about a literal trip to Jerusalem, a trip to the Temple to become close to the Lord. Today, however, this same idea can serve as a metaphor for us. We can set our minds on the same pilgrimage to Jerusalem in that we are looking ahead towards the Cross. We are setting our minds on the story of the Cross, and as we do so, our strength comes from the Lord. We are taking a journey to become closer to the Lord. I really like this metaphor.

"A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else! I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than live the good life in the homes of the wicked." Psalm 84:10

I like this passage of scripture. The idea of living just one day in God's courts as being one thousand times better than living anywhere else. Wow. That's an amazing notion. Being with God is so much greater than anywhere else. That image really resonates with me. Chris Tomlin has a song based on this scripture called "Better Is One Day." I really like that song. It has touched me since the first time I heard it. The image is just so vivid. I love it. Here's a link to a video that plays the song.

And the section sentence in this passage is evocative, too. Choosing to be a gatekeeper for God over living in a big house with the wicked. This is so telling. God is amazing, and his followers know it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.