The Word Hate, and God?

Day 106: Psalm 11-15

I like the part of Psalm 11 where the writer states, "The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne"(v. 4), but then I'm disturbed by the part where it says the Lord "hates with a passion" the wicked. The Lord hates? We aren't supposed to hate, are we? At least that's what we're taught. So it's a bit surprising to me that the Lord hates. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that the Lord hates the wicked; He is all about "good" and evil has no place in his presence. But it just shocks me because we are all evil; we are all wicked. Does God hate all of us? Or what else could it be? Could it be that this expression--this use of language--is only one person's interpretation of the Lord? Or could it be that this is true and that when Jesus came, he changed all this? I don't know. I'm sure I could ask someone or google this question, and I could get the "right" answer, or even one that explains it a little bit, but I guess I just want to say that I was a little shocked. Maybe I'll learn more about this idea as I pursue my reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 13 is a psalm of David, and his prayer here reminds me of Job's questioning of God. They both question the circumstances of their life. I like how David ends this prayer:

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
       my heart rejoices in your salvation.
    6 I will sing the LORD's praise,
       for he has been good to me.

David trusts the Lord and even though he doesn't understand everything that is happening to him, he trusts the Lord and will praise the Lord in the midst of hard times.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.