What's your legacy?

Day 88: Ezra 5-10

Ezra. An entire book is named after him, and he doesn't even appear until chapter 7 in the book named after him. He only appears in four chapters total in the book of Ezra.

I didn't remember one thing about Ezra before reading the book today, but after reading what is written about him, I think he was a great man. He was a godly man who helped the Jews rebuild the temple in Jerusalem. One of the facts you might find interesting about Ezra (I did) is that he is a direct descendant of Aaron, Moses' brother. In fact, Aaron was the first priest (I think), and here you have Ezra who is another priest. He comes from a priestly heritage and is living his life in the same way as he grandparents did.

In thinking about Ezra and the long line of faithful people from which he comes, I'm struck by how his faith came from his family. So often we look for these fabulous conversion stories--like those that happen in the New Testament--but there is also something to be said about generations after generations of people following the Lord. Faith so often happens because of family relationships--whether you inherit a faith from your parents, grandparents, or siblings. While not everyone comes from a family that believes in the Lord or in Jesus, some of us, like me, do. I think it's important to be reminded that we have an even greater responsibility to pass along this faith with others--not just our children but our friends and neighbors, too.

I often wonder if my children are inheriting anything good from me. I have faults, and I think I'm a horrible parent on many days (I am!). I think it's important to ask myself, though, what kind of heritage am I leaving my children? Am I instilling in them a faith that will last up to 16 generations, like that of Aaron's to Ezra's? I really hope so.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.