I Made It to Psalms!

Day 104: Psalm 1-5

Today I started reading the psalms. I've always liked the psalms, although I don't read them too often, but I like how past followers of the Lord put words to their expressions about God. They praise God. They offer lament to God. They ask why, and they ask for help. Many of these psalms are prayers to God, and others are songs to him. The difference between the two is minor. But the psalms are different than most of the rest of the Bible because they are poetry rather than prose, songs rather than narratives. They utilize a different form of expression, a different way of communicating with God. Reading the psalms can enhance our own prayer lives by showing us how others pray and talk to God.

The words that touched me tonight are:

1. "Blessed are those who do not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but who delight in the law of the LORD and meditate on his law day and night" (1:1-2). 

2. "But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the one who lifts my head high" (3:3). In the midst of fleeing from his son Absalom, David utters these words to God. David feels God's protection and knows that He gives him strength. This psalm was also made into a beautiful song that I really like.

3. "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety" (4:8).

4. "Lead me, LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies— make your way straight before me" (5:8).

5.  "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy" (5:11).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.