Spiritual Giants like Moses

Day 28: Numbers 9 to 12

Have you ever known a spiritual giant?

I can think of several people in my own life who have made quite an impression on me.

My father.
My mother.
My great-grandmother Meme.
My husband.
My in-laws.
Friends like Danny Mathews, Andrew Johnson, Amy Konermann, and Shelly Willbanks.
Preachers and teachers I’ve had: Michael Lewis, Mike Cope, John Risse, Shane Alexander, Becky Van Rheenan, Candace Vogt, Charles and Judy Siburt, and Karen Alexander.

I have had many spiritual mentors in my life. These people study and mediate on scripture. They bring new insights to Christianity and what it means to live a cruciform life. They are prayer warriors. They practice spiritual disciplines. They talk the talk and walk the walk. They are mentors, friends, and advisers.

When we meet someone like this, we know that we have seen Jesus. We have glimpsed what it is to live life in the kingdom of God. What makes people like this so special is that they allow us to realize all that God intended life in Christ to be like. Even though we may not often meet people who become mentors, advisers, and heroes to us, we know that at this moment, we are glimpsing more than humanity; we are glimpsing the life-changing ways of Jesus Christ.

Moses was a spiritual giant. He had the Spirit of God resting on him, and God listened to him. When the Israelites complained about their hardships and God sent a fire to burn among their camps, God prayed to the Lord and the fire died down. When the people complained that they had nothing but manna to eat, Moses prayed to God, saying, “I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me.” And so God took the Spirit that was on Moses and put it on seventy Israelite leaders. These 70 men helped carry the burden of the people, and Moses no longer had to carry it alone. When Miriam and Aaron oppose Moses and God curses Miriam with Moses, Moses prayed for God to heal his sister, and God did so.

    God responded to Moses’ requests for forgiveness and healing, which suggests that Moses was a man of God. Moses responded to the call of God to be a leader of the Israelites. The people trusted Moses, and Moses became the voice of the people to God.

    Even when Joshua, Moses’ assistant, became worried and jealous when other men began prophesying, Moses showed humility, expressing how much he desired all God’s people to use the gifts that God gave them—even if it meant that some power or prestige might be taken from him.

    Moses is someone to be admired and imitated. He is a “spiritual giant” (so to speak) of his community. They go to him, and he goes to God. His life has obviously been touched through his relationship with God. I hope that my life is also one that has been touched through my relationship with God. I hope that yours is, too.

    Stumble Upon Toolbar

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Search This Blog

    About Kara

    I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.