A Day in the Life

Day 214: Matthew 8

I'm amazed at what a day in the life of Jesus entails. He heals people. He asks people to follow him and give up their homes and possessions. He rebukes a storm and it stops. He talks about how there is a cost to following him. And this is only one chapter's worth of anecdotes! Jesus is busy. But he's not busy with the typical things that I busy myself with--work, household chores, family time, watching TV, playing on the computer, reading, exercising, and on and on. His day isn't full of time to himself or "me time" (although he does rest and pray on occasion, but even that, one could argue, is still focusing on others). He doesn't do selfish things during his day or spend time worrying and fretting, wondering how he can get it all done (like I do). No, he busies himself with people. He reaches out to people. He meets them where they're out. He shows compassion. He touches lives. He impacts people. He's out of his house--walking around town meeting people and doing things for them. Instead of staying away or spending time with his family, he's healing the sick and loving the sinners. Jesus spends his time on things that matter. His day is so much different than mine, but his example shows me what is truly important. So many of our concerns are really things that this world tells us is important--money, TV, working hard, success, education, etc. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter or that it's good to be ignorant, but I am saying that we should spend our time thinking and pondering how Jesus spent his day so that we can reflect more on how we are spending ours.

May you have some days in your life similar to the ones Jesus had in his.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.