Less of Self and More of Thee

Day 119: Psalm 75-78

The writer of Psalm 75 lists what God has done for them, and he proclaims that he will always do so. He will sing praises to the God of Jacob and express his gratefulness to God.

Why is it easier to focus on the negative? I know that my own perspective isn't often the same as the writer of Psalm 75's is here. In the midst of turmoil, I often become self-centered. I don't necessarily blame God when bad things happen, but I don't sing of his praises either (at least that's not natural for me to do). But here is a writer--a follower of God--who reminds himself and others what God has done for him, and he is never going to stop doing so.

God has done things for me personally. He has redeemed me. He has made me whole, pure, and guiltless. He has forgiven me and given back my life to me again and again. He has blessed me with a loving husband, healthy children, godly parents, and a wonderful extended family. He's given me a wonderful job that I love. He takes care of me and provides for me. He constantly does so much for me. If I would just remember all these things in the midst of bad times, I think I would have a different kind of relationship with God--one that is less selfish and more loving. I hope I will remember this chapter the next time hard times come. I hope I will be less self-absorbed and more grateful to God for all the good things he has given me.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.