Reflections on King Solomon: Wisdom and Drama

Day 64: 1 Kings 1-4

If God came to you and told you that you could ask Him for anything in the world, what would request?

It would cross my mind to ask for financial security. I'd also consider asking for such things as peace, love, and contentment. I might ask for friends or power or recognition or even more time in the day. Who knows? But I think it's an important question to consider.

Solomon had this option. God told Solomon that he would give him whatever he wanted in all the world. Solomon didn't choose wealth or power; he chose wisdom. He wanted to have a discerning heart, to be someone who could assess situations and make wise decisions. He wanted God to give him greater wisdom as the king of Israel, discernment to make wise and fair rulings and to distinguish between right and wrong.

God granted him this wish, but he also gave him wealth and honor as well. God greatly blessed Solomon.
-------
The Bible is full of drama! It's like a soap opera at times with murder, sex, and jealousy, and it is so surprising at times! First, there is so much drama involving Solomon becoming King of Israel. Adonijah, David's oldest son crowns himself king, but Bathsheba and Nathan want Solomon to become king so they trick David to give Solomon the crown.

Second, Solomon ends up killing his brother Adonijah because of a request to take Abishag as his wife. I don't really get it. Is Solomon jealous?

Third, Solomon kills everyone associated with Adonijah. Murder, murder, murder. I thought one of God's commandments was "Thou shalt not kill." Why does Solomon get away with all this bloodshed? And the bloodshed of innocent people. I don't understand why God blesses Solomon instead of punishes him.

Additional Note: After I posted this, I was talking to Shane (my husband) about this violent section of I Kings and expressing surprise about Solomon's violence, and he told me that the scene in The Godfather was actually patterned after this section of I Kings. If you've ever seen The Godfather, you know how violent that was. It's amazing (strange) that this would be the case. I am very surprised.
-------
As David is dying here is the advice he offers his son Solomon:
"I am about to go the way of all the earth," he said. "So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go and that the LORD may keep his promise to me: 'If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.'"

That's the kind of values I hope to instill in my children.
-------
Did you know? 

* Solomon married the daughter of Pharaoh, King of Egypt. Wow! Times sure have changed since Moses left Egypt!
* When God appeared to Solomon to ask him what request he wanted, Solomon was dreaming.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.