Be thankful

Day 77: I Chronicles 17-21

Thanksgiving will be here in less than three days. This holiday is a special one to Americans, but it’s also special to Christians. This holiday serves as a reminder about many things, and I will list a few of them here: 

1. Thanksgiving represents a time of sharing with those in need. Jesus came to earth and spoke about giving to the poor and providing for the orphans and widows. Jesus wants us to give, and this time of the year represents a perfect time to remind us of the many gifts we have that we can give away. 

2. We can also be thankful for the blessings that God has bestowed in our lives. These blessings may be financial, or they may be blessings of relationships. We can also be thankful for our families, our jobs, and the good things that come to us. But we can also be thankful for the tragedies, for the times of trial that we go through. Paul says in the New Testament that he has learned to be content in whatever circumstance, and I pray that I feel the same way one day. Mostly, I'm thankful for the sacrifice of Jesus whose death has given us life.

3. Thanksgiving represents family time. Together we eat, shop, and watch football. We play kickball and football with friends and neighbors, and we watch the Longhorns-Aggies game. This time is full of fun and memorable traditions that we continue to pass on to our children.

4. This year the holiday also represents a new tradition: a 5K fun run for most of the Poe side of the family (including me!). We are running in the Turkey Trot in Downtown Houston, and I'm very excited about this new tradition we are starting. My goal is to run the entire 3.1 miles. My ankle has been hurting a bit, so I'm a little worried, but I've been training, so I'm hopeful I can do it.

5. Thanksgiving also represents a history for America. The history of the founding of this country (at least by the Pilgrims), and times of joy, thanksgiving, and sharing. This American history has made its way into our hearts and has weaved itself into the way we celebrate the holiday as Christians, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with this necessarily, but I do hope to remember that the focus of this holiday is on the blessing of Jesus more so than the story of the Pilgrims.

May your holiday be one of Thanksgiving and blessing.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.