Gideon's Example

Day 46: Judges 6

If I have another child, I think I want to name him Gideon.

I don't think I know one person named Gideon, and considering how often people name their children after biblical people, I find this surprising, especially with how impressed I am with him after reading Judges 6. Now I haven't finished the story of Gideon and I don't remember what becomes of him, but in chapter 6, he is someone to admire.

I admire his courage, his boldness, his willingness to go to God on behalf of for the Israelites. Gideon feared God and yet he trusted God, too. He feared God and viewed him as holy, yet he also trusted that God would keep his word, that he would save the Israelites and answer his prayer. He even asks God to "prove himself" and God does it.

He has an interesting balance of fear and respect, but the trust is also apparent. Too often we struggle with being totally fearful and not being willing to ask God for anything, or we are at the opposite end where we will ask God for anything and everything, forgetting that He is to be feared and revered. Gideon is an example to us of how to balance these two aspect.

I hope you will read Gideon's story. You can find it here. I think you will be encouraged by him.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.