Reaping and Sewing

Day 8: Genesis 29-31

Reading the biblical narrative in chronological order like I’m doing presents an interesting aspect of the text: it allows you to look at the text in relation to other things that have happened. I’ve just now read the story of Jacob and Laban and how Laban deceives Jacob by giving him Leah to marry rather than Rachel, the one Jacob wanted. I’ve always read this to view Laban as such an evil person, especially in relation to Jacob who was wronged. But reading this story so soon after reading the story of Jacob deceiving Esau makes me view it a little differently. What Laban does to Jacob is no different from what Jacob had done to Esau. The difference is that this time Jacob is on the receiving end of the deceit. Now he knows what Esau must have felt like. Maybe working for Laban for 17 years is the penance that Jacob has to pay for sinning against his father.

God does seem to teach us lessons in interesting ways. In this instance, Jacob reaped what he sewed.

And oftentimes, I do, too. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, though, when I’m wronged, maybe I should consider that the situation is a result of my own actions, my own behavior. Yikes. That’s not exactly politically correct, is it? To say that you get what you deserve. To say that I get what I deserve. It’s more kosher to cast blame than to take responsibility for one’s actions. Maybe I should start reflecting more on how my choices and my behavior influence what happens to me, just like they happened to Jacob.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.