Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty

Day 23: Leviticus 12-15

As I was reading Leviticus tonight, I was struck by how much of these laws have to do with cleanliness--cleanliness in how your home looks, what you wear, what you eat, and what should happen if/when you become ill. It seems to me that these rules and restrictions serve more symbolic purposes now. To them, they were rules for how to live a life--rules for how to be more clean, pure, and holy in the presence of God. For us today, they seem more like a metaphor for holiness. How God views being holy as an essential part of who we are.

I don't think our culture emphasize holiness too much. It emphasizes a lot of things, but holiness is not one of them.

So one way we as Christians can differentiate our Christian selves from our American selves is by being holy. God obviously values holiness: He is holy, and He wants us to be, too. We should strive for holiness--being clean, pure, and righteous. Differentiating ourselves from others. Imitating God.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.