Hearing Voices

Day 3: Genesis 9-12

God demonstrates his power once again with the story of the tower of Babel. These people were building a monument to themselves and God didn’t like it. So, he confuses their language and scatters them all over the world. What kind of towers have I built in my life that replace God? Honestly, I don’t really like thinking about this question. Too often in my life, other things come first. Too often, I come first. But God wants to be first in my life, first in your life. He doesn’t want me to put my identity and self-esteem in anything else but him. I find comfort in this. When I’m having a hard day at work, for instance, or when I get rejection after rejection for the articles I’m trying to get published, I can remind myself that God wants me to find my identity in him. And this brings me comfort.

------------

I wonder how God called Abram. Did his voice come booming from heaven? Or was God’s voice one Abram heard in his head and followed because he knew it was God? Or did God speak to him some other way? I’m not sure, but sometimes I do wish that I would know exactly when God was speaking to me and what he was saying. Abram heard God and followed him immediately. I think I would follow God, too, but I want to hear him. To know for sure that God is speaking to me and that it’s not some other voice I’m listening to (like my own).

At times over these past two years, I have really regretted church planting. Before we did it, we prayed and prayed and prayed about this decision, and we really felt that we were being called to do this. But then it all seemed to combust, and we were left wondering if we really heard the voice of God calling us to do this, or if it was someone else’s. I guess we won’t ever know for sure, but I do find peace in the fact that God has used our church planting experiences to form us and shape us into more mature Christians, into a more mature couple. He also used us to impact others. Some of our best friends are people we met through this experience. God used this situation (and is still using this situation) for the good. I do pray, though, that God will reveal his voice to me more and more every day and that I will be humble enough to hear it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

DouglasRYoung September 11, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

Kara,

At times we all wonder just what God is doing in our lives. Since we've met, things have drastically changed for Tisha and me. Things fell into place and we were certain God was opening doors. So we entered, but I still struggle with understanding what God is trying to teach me. So I keep looking for bushes burning in my life where God is trying to speak. He brought us here for a reason, and soon enough he will show us what it was all about. Same for you and Shane!

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.