Forgiveness heals

Day 12: Genesis 42-45

Tomorrow begins a new journey for the Alexander family. Shane begins preaching at Northcrest Church of Christ. We are really excited about this moment because it marks the end of a very hard time in our lives, yet it also marks a time of hope, excitement, and change. We are really excited about joining this sweet congregation, and we are hopeful about what the Lord will do there with and through us. Thank you, God, for this opportunity. Keep us in your prayers.

On a different note...I love the story of Joseph meeting his brothers in Egypt long after they had sold him into slavery. Joseph must have been quite surprised to see them. He could have sought revenge against them. In fact, in his position as governor, he could have easily had them put to death. But he doesn’t. Instead, he has compassion on them. He shows them love. He shows them forgiveness.

There are a few people in my life to whom I feel bitterness. I was definitely wronged by them, and sometimes I want to dwell in this bitterness. But I can learn from Joseph how to show forgiveness. And what’s important to remember is that the forgiveness didn’t help the brothers; it helped Joseph. Joseph was able to welcome them into his home with an honest and genuine love for them—not a bitterness that no one would have blamed him for holding.

But he didn’t. He forgave. Forgiveness heals.

I, too, should forgive. I need to let go of the past and forgive those people who hurt me. It’s not for them that I need to do this; it’s for me. For my health and well-being. For my relationships with others. Thank you, Joseph, for reminding me of this lesson.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Kara

I am Kara Poe Alexander. I began this blog to read the Bible anew, with fresh eyes and an open mind. I hope to grow closer to God, to learn how these ancient stories are still relevant today, and to develop a spiritual discipline of Bible study.